Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Academic discourse

The standards of school means different things to every individual. I'm going to talk about my own personal discourse. Starting in high school, grades meant everything. Everyone was trying to achieve that 4.0 or above gpa. I say everyone, but it really wasn't everyone. There are always those kids that just get through school because it is a requirement by the government. Anyways, students had to receive the highest grades because everyone wanted to brag about where they were going to school. I truly enjoyed my first two years of college at Christopher Newport University, but it was not something that I bragged about. After I got into school, grades were not on my top priorities list. My new discourse was finding myself. My freshman year of college I struggled with grades. I went from being a 4.0 student to having a 2.5 gpa my freshman year of college. I had lost my motivation for school. Then when I made up my mind to transfer, grades became my top priority. Now I had to prove to Belmont that I was someone that they should let attend. I kicked my butt and got things done. In a year I raised my gpa from a 2.5 to a 3.0. For two consecutive semesters I made dean's list. I was now riding on my high horse because I had found my motivation again. After spending my first semester at Belmont, I have come to the conclusion that, grades are not what makes the world go round. Grades are not going to get you that internship that you really want. My attitude towards school changed. I am still driven by grades, but I do not let them run my life. I have released that stress of that "I have to get good grades" and have just let things happen. In doing so, I have found that I am actually doing better than when I was stressing about getting good grades.

No comments:

Post a Comment